1st ISTRO Working Group – Conservation Soil Tillage Workshop
[8th-9th September, 2020, Osijek, Croatia]
WORKSHOP REPORT / SUMMARY
Dear member of ISTRO Working Group – Conservation Soil Tillage,
At first, I wish to thank to all WG-CST members who were able to participate on meeting, especially due to corona issue and real possibilities for COVID-19. In spite of that reason, as general overview and in my personal opinion, meeting was very successful.
As small contribution and as results from our meeting, on official ISTRO web site (https://www.istro.org/index.php/publications/other-publications) you may find Book of Abstracts, plus with some other, I hope, interesting and useful information.
After two-day Workshop meeting, as the main conclusions can be listed:
- Visual evaluation is a very good and useful tool for evaluation of soil/crop conditions and for prevention of many human and/or climate induced threats,
- Conservation Soil Tillage play one of the main roles in sustainable approach to crop production, but on global scale still not recognized in proportions which is deserved as technique for adaptation and mitigation of climate change and soil degradation,
- Different definitions of Conservation Soil Tillage are pretty common on global scale which sometimes leads to misunderstandings in evaluation of achieved scientific and practical results,
- Proportion of knowledge and practical experience is very heterogeneous on every level (scientists to farmers) and depends on global, regional and even on local scale,
- Main barriers for expanding adoption of Conservation Soil Tillage can be divided on two different group: Economic and social development (knowledge, tradition, technics, technology, science implementation etc.) and Agro-ecological conditions (climate, soil, water, crop, biology etc.),
- Main reason/motivation to adoption Conservation Soil Tillage in crop production are positive financial effect, but unfortunately, the other positive effects as (reduction of soil erosion, increase biogenity and quality of soil, less traffic and soil compaction alleviation, nutritional status and quality traits of crops, weed infestation etc.), are still in the background,
- The participants were very interested in discussing a certain topic and expressed interest in different ways of cooperation,
- Participants agreed on a joint writing edition – Glossary of Conservation Soil Tillage. This proposition needs to be discussed with ISTRO board in details on the next meeting or most likely on main ISTRO conference in Dublin,
- Work in WG is very good "channel" for additional promotion of ISTRO activities and has potential for attracting new members,
Next WG-CST meeting
Participants agreed with suggestion about schedule for next WG-CST Workshops in following years, in dynamics once per year. According aforementioned, next meeting is planning for and of June next year (in 2021 - prior to main ISTRO Conference in Dublin) if particular circumstances will allow (exact dates and location will be setup on time) and then 3 months later in September on ISTRO Conference (when will be present most of WG-CST members). So, please put these informal dates in your diaries if you are interested in participation.
Working Group - Conservation Soil Tillage (WG-CST)
WG-CST for the first time organize workshop relating to and dealing mainly with ISTRO interest areas (e.g. Soil and Water Management, Climate Change, Plant Nutrition, Tillage tools and Implements, Crop Protection, etc.). WG-CST 1st Workshop has main intention to discuss and gathering basic knowledge about current situation in science and professional work in domain of conservation soil tillage.
1st WG-CST Workshop will be organized in period 2-3 June, 2020, Osijek, Croatia
1st WG-CST Workshop will be organized in period 8th-9th September, 2020, Osijek, Croatia
Important information !!!
Dear colleagues and friends, members of WG-CST,
I would like to inform you that the 1st WG-CST Workshop is postponed due to the uncertain situation caused by coronavirus.
New date is 08th-09th of September, 2020, at the same place (Faculty of Agrobiotechnical Sciences Osijek).
CST worldwide experiences
Different aspects and acceptance of CST
Recognition and perspectives views of CST
CST and Climate Change relation
Preliminary program (at a glance):
1st day – presentations and discussions
2nd day – field trip (demonstrations, visit a progressive farm and CST experiment)
Official language will be English
WG-CST Workshop fees: free of charge for all Workshop participants (fee's include attendance, workshop booklet, field trip and meals)
All authors are kindly asking to prepare abstract which will be published. Abstract should be no longer than 300 words (excluded title of abstract, name(s) and affiliation of author(s)).
Faculty of Agrobiotechnical Sciences Osijek
Vladimira Preloga 1
For additional information please use these contacts:
Further/additional information will follow soon